Sunday, October 16, 2011

Week 41 – Soapstone Bears

Many years ago, when my husband Hugh was a child, he found a polar bear carved in the butter on the kitchen table. His father Fred had found something to do while he was having his morning coffee. Creative hands cannot be still.

Last Friday Fred passed away. Sunday he had Thanks Giving dinner with the family and by Friday he was gone. I have been wondering if I should say anything about our loss in my blog and decided that I had to.

Fred Tayler always encouraged me in my art. He was and artist too, though he never settled on one medium. He made – pottery, soap stone carvings, sumie paintings and more.

So hears to you Alfred Maxwell Tayler, a wonderful person, and great friend.

Fred in his kitchen a couple of years ago.


4 comments:

Roberta said...

I am really sorry for your loss. At least you all had one last Thanksgiving together.....that is a good thing

Liz said...

Love your polar bears and the story to go with them.

I'm sorry to hear about your father-in-law's death. It sounds like he had a great artistic spirit and will deeply missed.

Liz in Victoria

Kathy Hackmyer said...

Hi Joan,

This is Kathy Morley Hackmyer. Uncle Fred was a Great Uncle in all the ways he could be great.

Sending out my love to you & Hugh and all the family. Wish I could be in Penticton - my heart is.

Love & hugs, Kath. xxxooo

Polyanya said...

So sorry to hear about the loss of a loved one, I remember when my father died I went and painted the outside of the house - it was the sort of thing he'd admire and I felt connected to him. Iwona