Sunday, December 11, 2011

How to Turn a Heel

So this is my little holiday gift for those who occasionally read my blog.

This is an a very simple irregular cane that can not be reduced when it is finished but it is fun. I usually make really little socks as stitch markers but a little larger they serve as decorations. So here we go.

1.) Choose two colours for your socks and roll them to the widest setting. My slabs for this are about 2 by 5 inches. Have some twisted wire loops ready to insert into the top of the finished sock.
2.) Mark of ½ inch segments.
3.) Cut and stack the segments.
4.) You can repeat one colour for the toe or cuff. I have only done this for the toe which I have made white. You can also see the red triangular piece that I will insert to make the red heel.
5.) Trim the edges of your stack.
6.) Cut into the stack half way up to give you a space to insert the heel of the sock.
7.) Insert the heel piece, it might take a little trimming to get it to fit.
8.) Here is the sock cane finished. The toe has been rounded to make is more sock like.
9.) Now the tricky bit. Put the sock foot on the table, slice a little to make a place for the wire, then make another slice to cut your sock away from the cane.
10.) Insert you wire loop and press the top closed.
11.) Make any final adjustment to the sock and …
12.) Off to the oven for baking.

So there you have it. Best I can do this year. You still have time to try it before Christmas if you are inclined.




PS to guild members. I finally figured out how to post this as a blog entry but I will still send your the PDF form.

8 comments:

Jane Perala said...

That is so cute Joan - thank you!

River Valley Design said...

These are so adorable!

Alice Stroppel said...

Fun and festive, a great project. Thanks for sharing.

Jadegirl said...

Adorable! I will have to share with the girls who just made cupcake charms! Thank you for sharing.

mari odell said...

Hello Joan,
Thanks for the nice comments and the link to my website ww.mari-odell.com. I loved the little frogs.Looking forward to more sprigging.
Fondly,
Mari

2BeadOrNot2Bead said...

How cute! Thanks for sharing!!

Fiona said...

I really like these. I just might try them.

Joan said...

I love the idea.. I have to try this at home. Thank you Joan!