Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Taking the Heat

There is the results of yesterday’s little experiment. The paua shell came through with flying colours. The earring “beads” were cooked for 40 minutes at 280 degrees Fahrenheit and there was– no melting of coatings, delamination and no change in colour. I tried this with amber and the colour of that material darkened significantly. It is interesting that the colour of the paua seems to change with the surrounding material. I will try to incorporate paua in to my jewelry in the future but not until I have all my production chores done.

The back ground of this picture is a potters glaze sample that I picked up of the “free table” out side our front gate. You never know what is going to turn up on the table. I consider myself lucking this time.

More about the free table another day. 

No comments: