Thursday, September 27, 2012

Black Out

I spent most of the day conditioning black clay. No picture today after I quickly dismissed the idea of just posting the picture of a black square. There is a lot to be said about conditioning clay. Lucky for the readers I will not go on about for long here, except to say how a little crumbly clay will correct the consistency of clay that is too soft. Of course there are some scary moments when the clay shreds and crumbles. That is what I should have I had taken a picture of - well, next time. Even though I had cut the crumbly clay thin and gradually took it thought  narrower and narrower settings on the pasta machine before adding it to the super soft clay, there were moments that I didn't think that it was going to work, but after forty or fifty passes through the pasta machine, the conditioned clay looked pretty good. Now I have to use it up making all the black things that so many people prefer.
 

3 comments:

Kim Schlinke said...

I can offer you two tips for crumbly clay. If you can get a mini food processor, you can run the clay in it until it is softer. I have one that I keep just for clay, and it saves so much time. The other thing you can do is put the clay on a hard surface and pound it with a rubber mallet until it starts to soften. This also relieves stress. LOL. Thanks for your inspiring blogs.

joan tayler said...

Thanks for the impute. You are right about the mallet, it fact I usually stand on my stand sort of stomp on it before I do anything else with it.

As for the food processor - there is a tutorial for this method on my blog.

http://joantayler.blogspot.ca/2009/03/nasty-old-clay.html

Thanks for the comment Kim. It is good to know that I am on the right path.

LindaCO said...

Joan, have you ever had clay that was beyond saving?

I bought some that is really crumbly and it doesn't seem to want to cooperate. I don't have a food processor, but think the mallet thing might be fun...