Friday, September 14, 2012

Heart Felt


Lydia and Harriet - years ago.
Even on days when my heart is heavy I make terrible puns. Yesterday we lost our feline companion of 18 years, Lydia. She was the best family cat in the world, with do respects to Harriet the other cat that we had nearly as long but who never really excepted the human members of the family on equal terms. Lydia was one of us and she is missed by the whole family.

But life goes on, and I wanted to share and idea that someone gave me yesterday. I am sure others have done this but it was a new idea to me. I found some little hinged tin boxes,  5 inches (12.5 cm) long at Douglas Trading Post on Vancouver’s Main Street – A store that hold more than a few surprised. I told Caroline, the store owner, what I was going to do with the boxes and she suggested that I line them with felt, also available at her store.

This is mark one trial  for covering one of these boxes. I glued the felt in with white glue but there might be something better. For mark two I am lining the bottom edge with polymer clay. I will see how that goes.

covered box mark one

the inside of mark one box in the back ground mark  two in front

5 comments:

Craig Massey said...

So you're putting some clay on the inside walls of the tin too?
To provide some thickness?

Love the concept.
Sorry about the moggy. It's never easy

A Half-Baked Notion said...

So sad to hear about your sweetie, Joan... they creep into our lives and wrap themselves around our hearts. Before we know it, they are as essential to us as the air we breathe. The grief we feel at their loss is the price we pay for loving them, and we would do it again in a heartbeat!

Sometimes being creative is a good defence against the heartache. Hope your current projects help you steer through your sadness. Looking forward to seeing the end result!

joan tayler said...

Thanks for the kind words about Lydia.

I am still working on the mark two box. I think the that the clay on the inside of the lid will give the thin tin box a little more integrity and if I am lucky it will look a little classier too.

Craig Massey said...

I agree that the extra thickness works well. For some reason "quality" is always associated with "weight", in objects at least.
Light=flimsy.
So making the walls thicker plays well to that. I've thought often that when I do a sculpture I should all a lead core to up the ante a bit. :-)

Thank-you.

Polyanya said...

Really sorry to read about your loss, she looked just like my Poppy who had to get put down 8 years ago aged 19! I still miss her. My thoughts are with you.