Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Don’t Try This at Home Kids

The items on the left – 380, the ones on the right 280
Have you ever wondered what would happen if a really tired person set their oven at 380 degrees Fahrenheit instead of 280 degrees, and then this person set it the oven to 35 minutes?

When my son said, Hey mum, I don’t think that your oven is suppose to be smoking like this. Off goes the oven, open goes the oven door, out comes some translucent clay that isn’t exactly translucent any more. It looks more like mahogany. I still finished some of it off – because in its way it looks pretty cool. Still this not a recommended way of getting something that looks like mahogany.

In the past I have burn thing that have gradually returned to something of their original colour. Has anyone else had this experience I wonder. (I don’t expect these to return to their original colour, at least not all the way – I will keep samples and watch them.)

7 comments:

Adriana Ermie said...

I know it's not something you wana hear but I think I like the colours better that way.

-Adriana

joan tayler said...

I love to hear that. Means that my mistakes might still be salable.

Claire Maunsell said...

I too love the dark ones and I too have done this with my oven...the beads that came out were fascinating and I keep them in my personal collection. I toyed with the idea of setting up an 'overcooking' oven in the outdoor shed, but hey, why court health hazards....there is more than enough to discover with polymer(for me anyway) without taking on more! You should definitely sell them!

Sophie said...

Totally sale-able, as long as people know they might transition back like those burnt horses from a long time ago (although, I don't think went back the whole way). The burnt stuff always looks so darn glossy.

A Half-Baked Notion said...

Joan, I read this a while back on Martha Aleo’s blog about using bleach on "darkened" clay. I doubt it would have much effect on the burned stuff, but I thought you might find it interesting:

http://ornamento.wordpress.com/2009/01/09/polymer-clay-experiments-bleaching-baked-clay/

I find the dark beads have their own beauty, Joan, though I'm sure there's probably a less stressful and less smelly way to accomplish the same thing LOL.

joan tayler said...

That link is really interesting. Something else to try. It might also explain why time turns the colour back - oxygen exposure?

LindaCO said...

I like the effect too. Especially if one doesn't know how the artist intended them to look!