Monday, February 25, 2013

A Bit of a Romance with a Dragon

On Friday I got a large inexpensive bead from Bead Freaks. I had gone into show Kayla, the owner of the shop, some Buddha beads that I made earlier in the week. Kayla liked my beads and I came away with a couple more beads to try out. The result is shown here.

A.) This is a push mold made with Sculpy Ultralite. I find this is soft enough that I can push the original bead in without to much pressure. I use cornstarch as a release agent having first painted a thin coat of Armoural onto the mold. I let the Armoral dry before I use the mold.

B.) The original bead is about 4.5cm (1 3/4 inches) across and over a 1/4 inches thick (7 mm).

C.) This is the resulting inro. 

I just realized that I have placed the dragon on the inro upside down. That is the sort of thing that happens with a mark one, especial if you are rushing to fir a little trial work in with other less interesting work.

My molds are of the most primitive. I welcome other suggestions or molding products that have worked well for you.

No comments: