Monday, March 25, 2013

Pickled Eyelets Revisited

Pinata dyes above, raw and pickled below.
Five days ago I started and experiment with Pinata dyes and eyelets. A reader had suggested it so I thought I would give it a whirl. Not so great. Those dyes are great for other things so don't waste them on metal. Good suggestion thought and worth a try.

I made a bigger batch of the pickled eyelets. Five days seems to be the right length of time. When I left them longer the metal became a little pitted, this time they came out just the way I like them. The vinegar only turned a light green/blue, but colored vinegar was not the intent of the experiment.

1 comment:

Polyanya said...

Bit late to this, but thanks for the tip - I don't like shiny either and have rather a lot of gold and copper eyelets that I haven't done anything with - off to find some vinegar! :))