Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Finishing or Sanding Adverse

3:00 AM - A load waiting to be sanded and polished
The last few days have been very busy ones. The classes at Seymour Art Gallery this week-end were fun and well attended. Thanks to the organizers and participates ( a couple of you were both.) I am looking forward to more classes in that lovely setting.

And if the rain lets up, and even if it doesn't, the garden calls at this time of year and I must attend. Get my outdoor gardening fix.

This does not mean that I have not been making things. My problem is in finishing things. I have decided that the solution is to finish things in the middle of the night when I can't sleep, which is quite often. I once read that if you can't sleep you should not do anything you enjoyed, like reading , sewing, or making things with polymer clay. The suggestion was to do something like cleaning the grout between the bathroom tiles. The equivalent for me is sanding and polishing. It is not that it is such a loathsome job, it is just that I don't like doing it. I am not sure at has to do with committing to inventory and packing way items or I just find it too boring.

3 comments:

Iwona Charleson said...

Do you use a rock tumbler for the smaller items Joan? I'm afraid I do and its saves me hours, just need to dremel to get a lovely shine. :))

joan tayler said...

Hi Iwona
I used to use a tumbler but I found that the grit got caught it the bead holes and was hard to remove. A friend uses strips of sandpaper instead of grit so I think that I should give it a try again. Thanks for the reminder.
cheers
joan

Iwona Charleson said...

Joan I use small river pebbles in one container for an hour or so, let it all dry and then buff tumble with felt and small pieces of faded denim. Then I dremel. :))