Friday, June 7, 2013

Butterfly Spiral Cane

Butterfly Shawl pin or Hair pin
 I came across some old rectangular "quilt " canes the other day and decided that they needed a make over. (I did take photos but sadly I deleted them by accident. So the drawings will have to do.) Make sure that the old cane is not so dry that it cracks. Warm the old cane up an bash it a little to soften it up.

A. Cut diagonally across a rectangular cane. (Think this these will work on square canes too, but I haven't had a chance to try it.)

B. Turn the pieces to make a triangle. I finished the cut edge with a thin layer of clay - That is the little swirl on the right hand side of the drawing. This step is optional but I think it makes the new cane look tidier.

C. Pull the apex of the triangle to make a long end that you can roll to make a spiral.

D. Roll down the apex of the triangle to give the new butterfly cane a swirl. The triangle base in solid enough that you can cut down and keep the odd shape of the cane. Warning this cane should be make the size you want it. It does not reduce gracefully.

Etsy notice - If you have been thinking about buying anything from my Etsy Shop do it quick or wait until after June 18th. I will be putting my shop on holiday mode for a week while I go and visit my daughter in Ontario. Last year I took everything with me but this year - well it is a holiday.