Friday, June 14, 2013

The Twinky Effect

At a class I was teaching recently I was explaining why it is very important for all the colours of clay that you use in a milliefiori cane have the same firmness.

One of the most difficult things to get right is to have all the colours of clay that I use in a cane the same consistency. To get it right requires a lot of patients so there is usually one clay that is makes a break for it and gush ahead of the others. I have dubbed this the “twinky effect” in honour that squish snack food and its soft filling..

Sometimes this effect can be used to advantage to give a puffy effect. I used this effect to create the puffy sunflower earring that I have in this shown post. Later reduced slices from this cane didn't have as dramatic effect. This probably why more patient people the me let canes rest before they cut the but sometimes it is more fun to just have at it.

No comments: