Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Home Party Hell

My strawberry bowls visiting the real thing. Not Mary Kay.
This is a warning to craft people who get invited to a craft sales, especially corporate craft fairs. Well meaning people that admire your work will invite you to craft fairs at companies, institutions or special events. Beware and do more research into the fair that I did.You might find yourself in the company of Mary Kay, Stella and Dot, Lia Sophia, and the old lady of them all Ms Tupperware. Along with; the party girls there are candles, candy and smack foods sold by freelance sales people that turn up at events that may be billed as craft fairs but are not in the least. This is the situation that I found myself in. One of three craft booths in a room of twenty tables of these party people. Sure I sold a little but I really felt out of place and I don't think that I would put myself in that situation again. It is difficult to compete with "shiny glittery 50% off and maybe you can be a sales person too".

Here is a site that will give you more information on the party people. Then again you might find party life just what you have been looking for. In that case go for it but be kind to craft person that may have wandered into an event by mistake.


1 comment:

Mary Kaye Waterson said...

That's happened to me and I used to BE a party person (CTMH). It really does have a negative effect on sales