Friday, November 1, 2013

Tidy Clay

The clay that you see my son conditioning here is anything but tidy. It is the kind of clay that you mix with softer clay. The kind of clay that crumbles like like stale cake on a bad day. One of the ways we have found  to keep things at least a bit little tidier is to make a sheet of clay that has been partially or completely conditioned and spread it under the rollers of the pasta machine to pick up the crumbles. The crumbles can be folded into the conditioned sheet under the blades and conditioned further. Not ideal but it works. Ideal is to have someone else condition the nasty clay
 Thanks Max.



4 comments:

fulgorine said...

Thanks for the tip :)

Monique (A Half-Baked Notion) said...

That is an awesome tip, Joan... is your son available for hire? If I don't have crumbly clay I am sure I could find related tasks LOL.

Mary Kaye Waterson said...

To get that clay to stick together, you might want to try Sculpey Mold Maker and Clay Softener. I think it's basically softer base clay - it doesn't affect the color of your clay at all. A little goes a long way, too. I had tons of Kato that was falling apart and one box of Mold Maker saved me from tossing it all out.

joan tayler said...

I have not tried mold maker so I will give a try when I see it.

I have tried Sculpey clay softener. I find it a little hard to control because what I have is a liquid that does not blend in easily.

I will continue to use liquid polymer clay most of the time because it has other uses and does not shift colours.

Thanks for your suggestion.