Saturday, February 22, 2014

DYI Texture Sheet from a Larger Stamp

Have you ever thought that there was a part of a stamp or texture sheet that your especially liked? Well, here is how you can make a new texture sheet from using that special part of a larger stamp.

1. I have chosen to start with a stamp I designed called Fish and Crab. I making a texture sheet using the left hand corner of the stamp. When I cut along the curves I have included the tip to the crab's foot but you will see that it sort of disappears in the final texture sheet

2. Using Sculpy Bake and Bend, I have taken a number of impressions of the chosen area. I do this by using a middle setting on my pasta machine and then use the thickest setting with the rubber stamp and the sheet of PC clay. On my Atlas machine the sheets are #4 and the stamp and texture sheet are run through at the widest setting, #1. You will have to vary these settings depending other the thickness of your rubber stamp. Don't forget to use cornstarch to prevent the clay from sticking to the stamp.  (If you haven't got Bake and Bend other clay will do but I like the flexibility of B&B.)

3. Trim the impressions to make shapes that will fit together. The clay will bend a little so if you chose a curved design as I have you can bend cut and trim to fit them together. Squares and triangle shapes should be even easier to fit together. The brushed the edges with LPC (Liquid Polymer Clay) to help them bond. This is especially important because on the cornstarch that was used to keep the clay from sticking to the stamp in #2.

4. Here is the resulting texture sheet. The darker sheet underneath is a impression of the new texture sheet which could also be used as a texture sheet. ( The little white bits are just cornstarch. I use a lot of that when I am making impressions in clay.)

5. I have demonstrated the new texture sheet by making a stack on different colours for mokumegane.

6. The new texture sheet in action. Cutting through the clay reveals one to the possiblityies for this new texture sheet.

I hope someone one else will try this and tell me how it goes.

And the usual disclaimer for those who find grammar and spelling errors in my writing, I will change it when it is pointed out to me. If I worried about it I would write nothing.







6 comments:

Deb Ross said...

great idea, Joan! I never thought of this and I'm itching to try but I'm packing my studio to move. I'll keep it in the back of my head for my new studio space. Thanks!

Monique (A Half-Baked Notion) said...

This is an awesome idea, Joan :) I recently used scrap Kato, for the first time, to make molds for buttons. It works great, really super detail. I use water in a mister, rather than cornstarch, as a mold release. When I test your tutorial with Kato, I'll try and remember to come back and share the result!

joan tayler said...

Thanks for the reminder that you can use a mister with water as a release agent but I my add a warning that this will not work with Fimo which gets a little mucky when combined with water.

Carrie said...

Thank you, Joan - this is a great idea and one l shall definitely use.....l spend a ridiculous amount of time making texture plates as it is!

Barb Alexander said...

Super tip, Joan. Thank you! It's great having texture sheets with lots of options but there are times when you just want that "one"…….

joan tayler said...

Thanks Barb. I am thinking that I might of over complicated things in this post. Sometimes just taking two of the same half of a stamp and turning one can give a neat effect. I guess that could be another post.